The RequirementsTo be a good fit for this opportunity you will have:
- A bachelor's degree, preferably in EH&S or other related field in science or engineering.
At least five years of well-rounded experience in environmental, health & safety in a heavily regulated manufacturing setting, including:
- Ensuring compliance with AQMD, DTSC and CUPA, wastewater treatment, storm water impact and hazardous wastes.
- Ensuring compliance with Cal/OSHA standards.
- Managing safety programs.
- Coordinating California workers compensation claims.
- Familiarity with continuous improvement methods, such as lean manufacturing, Six Sigma, etc.
- Experience delivering training and education.
- Working familiarity with word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Solid oral and written communication skills, including the ability to develop clear and concise documentation and reports.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate and communicate clearly with people at all levels of the organization.
- Flexibility and the ability to manage multiple projects and shifting priorities.
- The ability to work independently in a fast paced setting.
- Experience participating in Kaizen or similar events.
- Relevant professional certification, such as CSP.
- Bilingual English and Spanish skills.
- Knowledge of cGMP principles and guidelines.
The RoleReporting to the Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) Manager, you will join a team that also includes an EH&S Specialist, whom you will supervise. Your mission will be to provide EH&S leadership to the Glendora and Orange sites, ensuring compliance with all applicable EH&S policies and resolving EH&S deficiencies and / or issues. You'll have responsibility for safety and environmental administration, injury case management, ergonomic injury prevention, technical safety advice and site-wide safety training.
You can expect to invest 60% to 70% of your time on the production floor, working with managers and staff regarding day-to-day operations. You'll divide the rest of your time between meetings and paperwork. No two days will be the same; you'll get involved in Kaizen events, address issues as they arise, and support product and process changes. We're currently transferring a significant amount of machinery from Glendora to a facility in Mexico, and you will help ensure that the machinery is set up in Mexico as it was in Glendora.
More specifically, you will:
- Implement environmental, health and safety policies and procedures in compliance with local, state, and federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and environmental rules and regulations.
- Manage facility environmental programs in the areas of hazardous waste, storm water pollution, and wastewater management; you'll inform management of environmental problems (and solutions) involving employees, the company and public. In addition, you'll prepare / submit environmental reports in compliance with local, state and federal environmental regulations.
- Ensure all employees, both hourly and management, receive all training necessary to safely perform their respective duties. This includes training for managers on programs they are required to implement.
- Plan, implement and train site personnel on various EH&S policies and programs, including, but not limited to, safety practices, fire prevention, personal protective equipment, regulations and standards, and incident investigation.
- Identify and suggest corrective measures to improve each site's accident experience and to suggest / implement means to achieve site EH&S goals.
- Ensure that mandatory OSHA reporting (U.S only) is completed, such as the annual OSHA 300 log, notification of serious accidents, etc.
- Inspect facilities to detect existing or potential accident and health hazards,
- Determine corrective or preventative measures where indicated, and follow up to ensure measures have been implemented.
- Lead the investigation of accidents and injuries and cooperate in the preparation of material and evidence for organization use in hearings, lawsuits, and insurance investigations.
- Compile and submit accident reports required by regulatory agencies.
- Oversee the administration of the workers' compensation program for the site and work with the EH&S Manager to minimize losses.
- Support the Corporate EH&S program and direction, and maintain EH&S files and records.
Why OrmcoProfessional development -- at Ormco we take a proactive approach to developing people according to their talents, aptitude and goals. Interesting projects will keep you challenged and you'll find ample opportunity to continue to grow and develop your skills. We can promise you won't be bored!
Career options -- the facility in Orange is home to corporate headquarters for both Ormco and Sybron Dental Specialties, so your successes will be noticed. Down the road, depending on your performance and our needs, you might pursue a promotion to EH&S Manager, or into other areas of Ormco, Sybron or even other Danaher companies.
Autonomy and collaboration -- we'll look to you to achieve your goals independently, providing support when you need it and "elbow room" when you don't. You'll interact with people across our organization, giving you a bird's eye view of our operations.
Innovation and stability -- Ormco is heavily invested in R&D and our products continually deliver cutting-edge benefits in a field eager for innovation. We're also financially stable; for example, while we were impacted by the recession, we weathered it well and we're now enjoying strong growth.
Excellent compensation -- Ormco recognizes the innovation and energy of its employees with competitive compensation, a bonus incentive plan and a full range of benefits, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, a retirement plan, and much more.
Pictured: you will ensure Ormco employees stay safe as they engage in a wide variety of activities in diverse environments, from labs to production areas to offices.
Keys to SuccessWe are a highly entrepreneurial organization, which means we are responsive to the market and driven by innovation. Change is part of our culture and we'll look to you to remain flexible as priorities shift. While it will be your charge to ensure we remain in compliance with regulations from a variety of agencies, we're not looking for a "police officer," but for a professional who will partner with managers and staff to help them achieve goals within regulatory guidelines. At the same time, you'll need to be willing to be assertive when necessary. You'll need to communicate clearly with managers to understand goals and challenges, and look for ways to balance compliance with profitability. In addition, the ideal EH&S Supervisor will maintain current knowledge of relevant regulations and remain willing to do research to get the answers we need.
About OrmcoOrmco has a rich history of providing innovative products and services to help elevate the standard of patient care and prepare for even greater advancements yet to come. Ormco's innovative solutions exemplify our continuing efforts to improve the efficiency and comfort of doctors' care and the beauty and stability of their results. Our partnership with the profession in this endeavor makes our work here at Ormco even more satisfying because our mission of developing quality, progressive products goes hand-in-hand with the profession's clinical and personal goals. That's why we invest heavily in research and development, set trends rather than follow them and focus on how our products perform in hand to provide the best clinical outcomes. We are proud that so many advanced technologies used in orthodontic practices around the globe today originated through our research and development efforts with guidance from our visionary clinicians. Ormco is a subsidiary of Sybron Dental Specialties, Inc.
Sybron Dental Specialties, Inc. (SDS) is a global company that serves six primary markets: dental, orthodontic, endodontic, dental implants, infection prevention, and magnification. Sybron has two primary business units -- Professional Dental and Specialty Products. Both business units are involved in designing, manufacturing, and marketing products domestically and internationally.
Ormco and Sybron are part of the Danaher Corporation, a diversified technology leader that designs, manufactures, and markets innovative products and services with strong brand names and significant market positions. Danaher and its subsidiaries are driven by a foundation of strong core values and the Danaher Business System, a tremendously successful approach to lean manufacturing and continuous improvement processes.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Pictured: we work with a variety of materials and processes here at Ormco, and you'll ensure they are stored, handled and dispositioned appropriately. Here you see custom brackets designed using InsigniaTM, the only digital system that delivers a complete custom solution -- patient-specific brackets, precision (computer-assisted) bracket placement and custom wires to eliminate time-consuming adjustments in all phases of treatment.